Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Mind Games

A Healthy Mind = A Healthy You

The
brain is the control center of your ENTIRE body! Mental stimulation improves brain function, preserve memory, and helps protect against cognitive decline to ultimately help you stay youthful inside and out.  It is important for all of us to take time out of our busy schedules to challenge our minds every day. If you continue to learn and challenge yourself, your brain continues to grow, literally.
The BEST part of this is there are so many fun and easy ways to stimulate your brain to experience the positive effects. Board’s games, quizzes, crossword puzzles, riddles and brain teasers are great games that you can start at a beginner level and work your way up.
There are many online resources available if you are looking to challenge yourself in an online interactive way. One of my current favourites is “Mastermind” and it focuses on memory retention. Check it out.

If you’re not a game junkie, not to worry I didn't forget about you! Learning any new skill provides the same mental stimulation your brain craves.Learning to cook, ski, dance are activities that require memory & learning new movements which are equally effective.
I could literally sit here and list off thousands of new activities you could challenge yourself with! The point is you need to find something new and different that YOUR curious to explore and learn. 

I came across this fun riddle this week! Let's put our minds to it and try to solve it:
I am a word of meanings three.
Three ways of spelling me there be.
The first is an odour, a smell if you will.
The second some money, but not in a bill.
The third is past tense, a method of passing things on or around.

Can you tell me now, what these words are, that have the same sound?

Comment below once you have figured it out! Play fair and don’t share the answer!
Check back next week when I post the answer. 

8 comments:

  1. Harleen, I love riddles and had fun figuring this one out. I try to play board games and do crossword puzzles whenever I get the chance, but it's time for me to start improving my memory! That being said, I will be looking into Mastermind. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I made sure to link your board game blog within this post. I enjoy many of the board games you discuss and encourage my viewers to remind themselves the fun these games bring about!

      Delete
  2. I played that Luminosity game on my iPad once. I'm not going to lie, some of them were really hard! I though I was at the height of my mental awareness, looks like I might have to start practicing now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harleen, I am laughing right now.

    Why ? your background is pretty pink flowers which reflect a page that does not exactly scream "guy stuff", but I can relate to every single one of these posts!

    I am hoping that my lifestyle and its relevance to your post means I will stay young forever. I do yoga regularly at the Welland Campus or hot yoga at Moksha in St.Kitts. The gym is my second home, as I posted on Kendra's blog, I "smoothie" daily. Coconut oil is purchased in bulk at my house as it is filled with amateur bodybuilders, the nutritional properties are preferable over olive oil or dare I say it, canola.

    Every new post you publish, I will follow!

    Keep it up girl.
    Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Luminosity games and they really work. As a translator, I had to memorize a lot of material and be able to reproduce it word-by-word after a certain period of time. It was one of the best ways for proper translation and information interpretation but at the same time the nightmare for my brain. Now I'm trying not to lose that ability and keep training my memory. Thank you for your refreshing post))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mind and board games. Recently I've been on a huge crossword and sudoku kick, but reading a book (outside of school textbooks) is my favourite form of mental stimulation. I love all of the tips and suggestions you provided for exercising your brain, and I think that it's even more important in today's high-speed day and age when people are always so focused on school or work. We all need a mental break from our computers and our work. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That took me way longer to figure out than I'd care to admit. It appears my goal to become Sherlock Holmes is still quite a ways off. *sigh*

    At any rate, keep up the great work, Harleen!

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Jarrod.. that riddle took me longer than I thought it would. But I totally agree- doing any extra things to keep your mind working is such a good idea. Sometimes I try to do mental math instead of pulling out my phone- just to make myself feel like I can still function on a daily basis. ha ha
    Great post, Harleen!

    ReplyDelete